“Beyond Survival” – Book Review

My Thanks To …

My thanks to Cheryl Barnard for donating copies of her book “Beyond Survival, Thriving in Your First Years of Teaching” to the recent Reform Symposium 2011, one of which I was lucky enough to win.

A Review

The book is aimed, as the title suggests, at new teachers, and I recommend it to teachers who are about to go into their first school.

It is written in a conversational style, and Cheryl shares her own disasters and triumphs with her readers, providing a road map of the sorts of emotions that new teachers might expect to encounter, and suggests ways in which readers might handle those emotions.

The book is well-organised into nine chapters, providing good coverage of the issues. Each chapter is further broken down into four parts:

1. A description of a situation or related situations in which she has found herself, followed by her responses to them;
  2. A list of questions which the reader is invited to consider and answer, with space thoughtfully provided below each question where readers can make their own notes;
  3. Some practical tips that readers might like to try in the classroom;
  4. Additional sources of information.

Cheryl’s warm personality shines through every page.

Publication Details

Publisher: Deep Roots Publishing
ISBN: 978-1-4538-4097-9 (paperback)
Date: 2010

One thought on ““Beyond Survival” – Book Review

1. Pingback: Book Review From Across the World : Go Beyond Survival