Librarians – a Dying Breed?

I wandered into the State Library of Western Australia a few days ago, and it set my grey cell into thinking about how libraries and librarians function in today’s world.

This is against the backdrop being told “Hush!” in a loud whisper in libraries as a child, and even today the Reading Room at the British Library may still be a “silent zone”.

Libraries in the Information Age

Libraries have always been about information, be it fact or fiction. The Dewey Decimal Classification is a wonderful way of organising the books containing that information. Today we have search engines, and we can access information in less than one second, which is less time than it takes to pull down a book from a shelf and open it. From that, we might conclude that libraries and librarians have no further place in today’s world. However, I would argue the opposite.

An Historical Perspective

Changes in technology lead to changes in the way that society operates. Examples of the stage coach and 35mm film come to mind: the stage coach companies fought for their lives when the railways arrived, and 35mm film has given way to digital cameras. Yes there are still stage coaches and 35mm film, but these are now specialised markets. But not all changes in technology necessary lead to the abandonment of an earlier technology. Those of us with memories long enough will remember the days when cinemas were all complaining about the arrival of television being their death knell.

For a more balanced view, I would argue when a new technology comes along, society takes advantage of the best of both technologies, and that the older technology can also adapt. The old “flea pit” has evolved into today’s IMAX cinema while we also have video-on-demand via the Internet.

The Library of Today

Libraries have evolved. Even my local library, serving a population of only a few thousand, has computers that visitors can use to access the Internet. I also make book requests via e-mail; this a norm with my local library, even though my child within finds this rather peculiar.

Librarians, as a breed, are still concerned about locating resources for people – it is part of their vocation. I see this every time I walk into a library. They know all the ins and outs of things like inter-library loan – my local library is now used to me asking for titles that are not available even at the State Library.

There is also the questions of the quality of the information that is available. The Internet is a wonderful resource for finding information, but it is not always accurate. Until very recently, it could be difficult to track down peer-reviewed academic papers. While misinformation on the Internet can be merely annoying, it has the potential to be dangerous or even life-threatening if you are looking for answers to medical questions, for example.

In cases like that, ask your librarian for sources of background information, and then use that information to better understand what your doctor tells you.

In Conclusion

Are librarians a thing of the past? No. Society still needs them, and we should value them more.

3 thoughts on “Librarians – a Dying Breed?

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Librarians – a Dying Breed? | A techie's view -- Topsy.com

2. Perfect! I especially like the part about their aiding in evaluation of sources, which, as you said, is an ever-increasing issue.

Oh, and you do yourself an injustice with “my grey cell.” You’re bound to have at least two or three left. 😛

3. Thank you Phil for posting your perspective on the importance of libraries. As a district library media adminstrator with 240 school libraries K-12, each and everyday I strive to advocate our changing profession and the important role that school libraries and public libraries play in our communities, schools and society. I am always shocked at the misconception that “the internet” has somehow made school libraries “obsolete.” and subsesquently the teacher librarian. This could not be further from the truth. Libraries are much more than books, bricks and mortar. They are a community garden, full of resources and ideas in many formats. The librarian keeps the garden balanced and makes sure that there is access to food for everyone. The librarian doesn’t censor, but instead makes room for every variety. The librarian does weed, but only when new and changing information requires that obsolete and inaccurate information move aside and make way. Libraries play a fundamental role in a democratic society by providing access to resources for expression and exchange of ideas. In today’s world, we must all be global thinkers and digital citizens who can think for themselves and sythesize, analyze, evaluate, create, produce and share information. Libraries are the peoples’ check and balance in a rapidly changing world. If our libraries, our gardens of ideas and information is left untended and neglected, what does that say about our world and society and where we go from here?